Data Engineer (Oracle Developer)
Location: Norwich, England, United Kingdom
Job Number: 920
Data is the life blood of any modern organisation and Aviva is no different.
This influential software developer role sits within a team who is responsible for the data that provides Aviva’s global Data Science team (covering areas like Machine Learning and AI), Pricing and Underwriting with the data they need to provide our customers the best products.
We have a notable opportunity within one of our Data Engineering teams for a highly skilled PL/SQL developer to work in our Exadata / Oracle Cloud environment.
The main challenge to the pipeline is the rapid evolution within the large-scale data world and the tools you'll develop will keep us ahead. You'll be part of a focused, encouraging team with a unified goal of delivering our customers a stable data pipeline delivering vast data assets on a periodic basis.
Duties & Responsibilities:
A lot of our processing happens within our Exadata Cloud Service, this requires specialist advanced PL/SQL programming skills. Using your skills, you will be supporting the data pipeline feeding our customers and teams with essential data assets.
Within Data Engineering we work in an Agile sprint so every single day we start off by bringing the team together for a stand-up. Based on the activities within the sprint a you could be involved in all aspects from capturing requirements, crafting new software, testing to deploying releases.
You could also assist in supporting the run team as part of our weekly release cycle or undertaking error investigation that our support team has not been able resolve.
The role has a very wide remit, so every day will be different and engaging.
What skills & experiences are required?
- Excellent SQL and PL/SQL development skills
- Good communication and business partner management skills
- Robust understanding of Oracle best practises
- Demonstrable understanding of system design
- Commercial familiarity with application development lifecycles
- Experience of Agile delivery methodologies
- Experience with Oracle Cloud and Oracle Apex
- Experience with Exadata would be phenomenal to have, but not a necessity
What will you get for this role?
- A salary of up to £40,000 depending on skills, experience and qualifications
- Generous defined contribution pension scheme
- Annual performance related bonus and pay review
- Holiday allowance of 29 days plus bank holidays and the option to buy/sell up to 5 additional days
- Up to 40% discount for some Aviva products through “My Aviva Extras” plus discounts for Friends and Family (some exclusions apply)
- Excellent range of flexible benefits to include a matching share save scheme
We care about the well-being of our employees!
How you feel at home, work and all aspects of your life are important to us. Our programme – ‘Be Healthy’, ‘Be Mindful’, ‘Be Secure’ and ‘Be Awesome’ supports your physical, mental, financial and social well-being.
Here are just a few highlights:
- You’re able to download Aviva Digital GP - a 24/7 personal GP service that allows you to get a video consultation with a GP and pharmacy service at the touch of a button
- We offer all UK employees subscriptions to Headspace for FREE!
- We have subsidised 70% off the normal gym membership prices, meaning for a reduced monthly fee you will have access to a wide range of fitness venues
Additional Information and Equal Opportunity
One of Aviva’s core values is Care More, and this is brought to life through the flexible ways we love to work. This may include working from home some of the time, or flexible work schedules to accommodate parent and carer responsibilities, further studies and hobbies.
Our diversity and inclusion policies and initiatives are crafting an environment where everyone feels welcome regardless of age, disability, race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, religion, culture, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, pregnancy, maternity or those with other caring responsibilities. Our approach helps to ensure that Aviva is a place which values difference and provides equal opportunities for all.
As a disability confident employer, we guarantee to interview anyone with a disability (as defined in The Equality Act 2010) whose application meets the minimum criteria for the post. (By ‘minimum criteria’ we mean that you should provide us with evidence which demonstrates that you generally meet the level of competence required, as well as meeting any of the qualifications, skills or experience defined as essential). Please apply through the website and then email the contact listed in the advert to notify us that you meet the conditions for the guaranteed interview scheme.
We prefer all applications to be submitted online, however if you require an alternative method of applying please contact Daniel Hopchet in the Resourcing team on 0121 234 7625 or Daniel.Hopchet@Aviva.com.
Job Number: R-83878
Community / Marketing Title: Data Engineer (Oracle Developer)
Location: Norwich, England, United Kingdom